Sunday, August 11, 2013

More than 100,000 want to go to Mars, and I don't even like camping

More than 100,000 want to go to Mars and not return, project say - KCTV5

News sources are reporting that more than 100K have signed up to leave our beautiful blue sphere and head off to the cold, dry world one planet over.  I wonder about the people who are applying, seeing as many of them are lacking either the commitment or the wherewithal to come up with the $36 application fee.  Are they pioneers or just wanting to escape? 

When I was a kid, I would have been incredibly excited about the thought of moving to Mars. (I lived and died for Space 1999.) Later, the romance of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy caused me to revisit my childhood enthusiasm for a few brief daydreams.  But then reality sat it.  I am claustrophobic and I don't even like camping.  Besides, much like Arthur Dent, my survival skills can be summed up with the phrase "sandwich maker." 

I do dream that one day the human race will step out and take to the stars.  I will think of those pioneers fondly from the comfort of my nice warm bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment