Monday, September 9, 2013

A Good Day Writing


After a few false starts, I believe that The Void, third installment of the Witching Savannah series, has finally begun to write itself.  It was only after I became willing to let go of my high concept (read as "convoluted") opening, a beginning that threatened to eat up three or more chapters with its emphasis on nearly forgotten Savannah history and introduction of a cast of brand new and hopelessly inessential characters, that I was able to ask myself what The Void was truly about.

Beyond the magic, outside the mystery, the third part of the series is about the love of a young woman for her family, especially for the sister she has alternately adored and feared, but for whose redemption she has never given up hope. And suddenly with that answer all of my characters, the ones I know, the ones I love, have come back and are ready to play.  Even Oliver, who still keeps on telling me I need to drop at least 10 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment